Rio 2016 / qualité de l'eau

Annonces, infos, résultats et lives sur toutes les courses! Vos comptes rendus de courses sont aussi les bienvenus!
Silver0l

Rio 2016 / qualité de l'eau

Message non lu par Silver0l »

Un article plus qu'inquiétant sur la qualité de l'eau à Rio...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/opini ... ewage.html

Olympians Shouldn’t Swim Through Sewage

THIS summer, when the Olympic Games are held in Rio de Janeiro, marathon swimmers, sailors and triathletes will be asked to compete in the highly polluted waters of Guanabara Bay and off nearby Copacabana Beach. Any athlete coming into contact with these waters has a high probability of becoming ill. Members of the United States junior national rowing team and competitive sailors have become sick with diarrhea, vomiting and flulike symptoms after training and competing around Rio, and they experience only “incidental contact” with the water. Marathon swimmers and triathletes will ingest this water — and the consequences could be deadly.

I am a long-distance open-water swimmer. Before marathon swimming was an Olympic sport, I twice set the overall men’s and women’s record for swimming the English Channel, and I was the first person to swim the Bering Strait from the United States to the Soviet Union. Like all athletes, I overcame pain in pursuit of my goals.

The only time I failed was when I became gravely ill during a race in the Nile River. Although I didn’t know it at the time, I was already sick with dysentery from training in the polluted water. Swimming through sewage, rotting rats and dead dogs, I struggled to finish the race. I didn’t want to stop because I was representing the United States, but after 15 miles, I nearly passed out. In the emergency room I was told I was extremely dehydrated and that I could have died.

I am worried that the Olympic coaches and athletes heading to Brazil this year are not well informed about these risks. Raw sewage from the Rio metropolitan area’s 12 million people — enough to fill 480 Olympic-size swimming pools — flows into Guanabara Bay every day. And that water flows directly onto Copacabana Beach, the site of the marathon swimming competition.

Fernando Rosado Spilki, a virologist and expert in water quality at Universidade Feevale in Brazil, was commissioned by The Associated Press to test conditions in all the water competition sites. He identified virus levels 1.7 million times what would be considered hazardous at a California beach. Dr. Spilki concluded that “the quantity of fecal matter entering the water bodies in Brazil is extremely high.” He told me it was “very likely that a person swimming in these waters will get infected.”

The A.P. also asked Kristina Mena, an expert in risk management for waterborne viruses at the School of Public Health at the University of Texas, to examine Dr. Spilki’s results. She predicted that athletes who ingest just three teaspoons of water from the bay have a 99 percent chance of infection.

When Rio was awarded the Games in 2009, the Brazilian National Olympic Committee acknowledged the unsafe conditions and announced plans to install eight water treatment plants. But as of last year only one had been built. Asked about Brazil’s commitment to clean up the water, Rio’s state environmental secretary said, “It’s not going to happen.” He acknowledged that the city will not meet its pledge to reduce pollution, and instead cited efforts to prevent trash from entering the waterways through the use of booms, nets and garbage-dredging “ecoboats” — an entirely ineffective approach to addressing the threat caused by bacteria and viruses.

There are fewer than 100 days to go until the Olympics. Brazil’s chief of security for the Games and the sports minister have recently resigned, and the president, Dilma Rousseff, is facing impeachment in the wake of a corruption inquiry. It’s obvious the country will be unable to deliver on its exuberant promise of a “Green Games for a Blue Planet.” Athletes should not have to swim through sewage in pursuit of their Olympic dreams. Something must be done to protect them.

This is the Olympics: Athletes are willing to compete at all costs. Jordan Wilimovsky of the United States open-water swim team told me that he trusted “that USA Swimming won’t put us in a situation where swimming could cause us to get sick,” adding, “Obviously though, I plan on swimming no matter what the water conditions are.”

His coach, Catherine Vogt, said she was paying attention to the issue and appropriately relying upon “water reports and listening to” the United States Olympic Committee and USA Swimming, the national governing body for the sport. But those organizations, and the International Olympic Committee, should be among the loudest voices demanding a solution.

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, The Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

Jack Simon, a former president of the American Swimming Coaches Association and past adviser to three United States Olympic swim teams, told me, “Athletes should consider pulling out if the safety issues are not addressed because no athlete should risk their health to compete in the Olympic Games.”

The president of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach, has said that “the competition area for the athletes will offer safe and fair conditions.” It is the committee’s responsibility to ensure this is so. The aquatic events must be moved to safe, clean waters — and if that can’t be found in Brazil, they must be transferred to another country.

While there is no modern precedent for a binational Olympics, and the committee’s charter may forbid them, such a move may be the only solution, short of canceling these races. But that would shatter the dreams of athletes who have trained most of their lives to reach the Olympic Games. They deserve a chance to compete where the water won’t hurt them.

Lynne Cox is the author of “Swimming to Antarctica” and the forthcoming “Swimming in the Sink.”
Augmentus, le roman des cyclistes qui aiment l'IA
Apprenez à nager avec Le journal d'un nageur de l'ère post-Trump
claude

Re: Rio 2016 / qualité de l'eau

Message non lu par claude »

Hé béééé !
On parie que s'il y a un médicament à prendre à titre préventif avant de se mettre à l'eau, il va être sur la liste des produits interdits ?
Sinon, faut autoriser / imposer de faire la natation avec tuba, ça réduira les risques ...
Claude
Joel

Message non lu par Joel »

Cela avait fait polémique lors du test event de Rio ....
Optimiser votre position vélo ?
http://www.velofitting.com

Il n'y a pas de chemin vers le bonheur, le chemin est le bonheur.
Jaginho

Message non lu par Jaginho »

J'annonce les pires JO quasi de l'histoire. Bcp d'endroits ne sont pas finis et le pire sera la circulation ! Digne d'un samedi lors des chassés/croisés.
« L'entraineur médiocre parle, le bon explique, le super démontre et le meilleur inspire. » (John Kessel)
Kenzo

Message non lu par Kenzo »

phpBB [video]
Dernière modification par Kenzo le 06 mai 2016 08:31, modifié 1 fois.
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days !!!
Kenzo

Joel a écrit :Cela avait fait polémique lors du test event de Rio ....
exact !!

un exemple d'article :arrow: http://www.lejdd.fr/Sport/JO-2016-l-eau ... tes-744822

:arrow: http://blog.surf-prevention.com/2015/08 ... iques-rio/

Déplacer les courses ? c'est déjà assez le bordel comme ça....non ?
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days !!!
claude

Et pourtant :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mDYNZYGv5M
Bref, c'est plus tout a fait ça...
:sm1:
Claude
Kenzo

Kenzo

La priorité je pense est de régler le problème Dilma Rousseff et non les eaux usées :roll:
tribrasil

Message non lu par tribrasil »

J'ai fait un half en 2007 , c'etais déjà dégeulasse, détritus ,odeurs , préservatifs ect.. (orga :CIA eventos) , un autre en 2015 70.3 de Rio en mai 2015 , de l'autre coté de Rio (Tijuca , ici c'était clean, mais 3 vélo volés dans le parc hahaha), le Brésil c'est le fric vite à n'importe quel prix , corruption total , écologie ...inéxistante, la baie de Guanabara ...c'est LE Brésil :sm10:
Brasil un pays tropical !!!
tom06

Message non lu par tom06 »

Pas la peine qu'Hidalgo se prenne la tete pour la senoise grand cru 2024. Paris plage ca donne presque plus envie que Copacabana. Les jolies cartes postales, la plage, les paillettes tout ca .. et l'envers du decor :shock:
Choupix

Message non lu par Choupix »

Kenzo a écrit :La priorité je pense est de régler le problème Dilma Rousseff et non les eaux usées :roll:
Si Dilma était le problème à elle seule...
Frank

Message non lu par Frank »

tom06 a écrit :Pas la peine qu'Hidalgo se prenne la tete pour la senoise grand cru 2024. Paris plage ca donne presque plus envie que Copacabana. Les jolies cartes postales, la plage, les paillettes tout ca .. et l'envers du decor :shock:
Bonjour, c'est vrai, mais les bancs de morues en train de bronzer sur les plages ont un petit charme exotique sur les plages de Rio par rapport à celle de Paris!
A+!
Penaud

Message non lu par Penaud »

On a beau être au courant, cela fait froid dans le dos quand même :sm10: C'est pas possible de jouer avec la santé des athlètes comme ça.
J'imagine qu'une grève des sportifs est inenvisageable ... il s'agit quand même des JO. Est-ce qu'il y en a 1 qui serait suffisamment courageux pour sacrifier une médaille et 4 ans d'une vie de sportif de haut niveau en refusant de prendre le départ ?
Enfin, quand bien même, si on en est réduit à attendre ça, c'est à désespérer de nos dirigeants sportifs et politiques :roll:
PS: merci Silver d'avoir ouvert ce sujet
claude

Ce qui est quand même étonnant, c'est que ça fait 5 ou 6 ans que les JO ont été attribués à Rio et qu'apparemment ils n'ont rien fait pour traiter le problème.
Nettoyer une baie, installer des canalisations ça ne se fait pas en 1 jour ni même dans les 2 mois + qui restent, mais sur 5 ans y avait quand même moyen de faire qqchose.
Ou alors de choisir un autre site pour ces épreuves: dans la candidature de Paris par exemple il y a des épreuves comme la voile qui se tiendraient à des centaines de km de Paris.
Parce que là, si même les types qui sont même pas dans l'eau mais SUR les bateaux attrapent la castapiane, y a vraiment un gros problème.

Pas besoin de baliser le parcours, il suffira de dire, comme Coluche, "suivez la ligne jaune" :mrgreen:
Claude
Répondre